Friday, March 16, 2012

The Self Sooth Box

Recipe

Ingredients

1 box (shoe box size is probably good but any bag or box will do)
1 item for sense of smell
1 item for sense of touch
1 item for sense of sight
1 item for sense of hearing
1 item for sense of taste
1 item to trigger good memories
1 item for creativity
(there may be more than one for each category and some items my cover more than one category)

Method

Gather together the items you wish to put in the box
Ensure that the container (box) is of sufficient size to hold the items
Make sure the container looks attractive/appealing  to you
Add the items to the box
Put it in a safe but accessible place ready for when you need it

But what is it for?

To be honest, I had heard of a “Soothing Box” before I saw Joy yesterday.  I had even wondered if it might be useful for me – but I never actually did anything about it.
A soothing box is an aid for reducing stress, negative emotions, bad/unhelpful thoughts and the urge to self-harm.  The idea is that you go to that box if you are feeling bad.  The box contains things that you have chosen because they may help you feel better and distract you from whatever thoughts / feelings are causing you problems.  It isn’t a solution or cure, but something that may help an individual cope with intense emotions a little better and at least delay if not prevent them falling back on self-harm or other unhealthy coping strategies.

One of the core DBT skills is mindfulness (staying in the moment without judgement) – whatever that means!  I haven’t really got it yet.  One aspect of it I have started to get though, is focussing on just one external thing.  For example, if I use some hand cream, taking the time to be aware of the texture, temperature, feeling, smell as I rub it in, smell etc.  It gives me a means to recognise and appreciate simple, pleasurable things without losing them all to the maelstrom of intense emotions I frequently experience in a day.  This in mind, it is suggested that a soothing box should contain items to cater for all the senses.
Today I have been making my box (not literally - I have bought one of those nice folding boxes).  I made a list of possible things to put in it and then had a good old rummage to find suitable ingredients.

My personal ingredients include: The collar from my first dog; my daughter’s first ballet shoes (they are so tiny and cute); a cup a soup; a scented candle, a piece of my special blanket from childhood; a small cuddly bear from my first mother’s day as a real mum; a small bible; a favourite prayer; some tic tacs; a picture of my phone with a music note (reminding me to listen to some music I like); colouring pensils and paper; small tub of modelling clay; some of my dog’s hair – I’m sure the bits and bobs will change over time.

Of course, the big question is, does it work?  So far the results are promising.  Something happened earlier that made me quite angry.  My first instinct was to want to self-harm, however, instead I took out my box, chose some hand cream and did the mindfulness exercise Joy taught me last week.  Having stepped away from the feelings for a few minutes, when I looked at them again they weren’t half so huge, indeed I would go as far as to say I might have over reacted a little!  I reckon that was pretty revolutionary for me – definitely a pat on the back moment!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Penny - I just wanted to let you know that I'm studying Occupational Therapy at the moment, and your blog has been amazing for getting an insight into what it's like to experience BPD. It's fantastic to hear from someone so articulate and expressive. I think BPD is hugely misunderstood in healthcare, and a lot of people seem to be scared of it. Your blog has been really wonderful to see the positives and negatives of the condition, and what's helped you and what hasn't. I just wanted to thank you for being brave enough to put everything up on a website so that people like me can understand your world a little bit better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine,

      thank you so much for your encouragement. I'm glad the blog is doing what I set out to do. Please feel free to promote my blog amongst your fellow students and interested others. Promoting it is tricky for me without blowing my cover!

      I wish you every success in your studies and career. Your desire to understand how life is for your "client" will make you a great OT.

      Penny

      Delete