Saturday, April 21, 2012

Oh Joy!


1.    A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation.

I guess from a medical perspective todays blog might relate to the above diagnostic criteria for BPD (called splitting).  I’m not sure though.  I accept that I do have a tendency when an important or professionally influential relationship has a more intense moment, to polarise my opinions about the person to either good or bad.

For example, in my work I (my company) took on a fairly large project.  It was working in partnership with another organisation and a project steering group was established to keep the project in line with the aims and objectives agreed with the funder.  One person on this steering group was a “Maverick” or a “loose canon” or in terms of meeting funding requirements, “a total nightmare!”  As the person who was responsible to the funder, and for the running of the whole project it was my job to deal with her.  She did not respond well to any form of training / support / being told politely to come in line.  In the end I saw her as completely cancerous to work with (i.e. malignant and needing to be removed), I became ill and had to recruit a new director for the project.  She is still causing problems for the project now, and I still see her as 100% impossible to trust or work with.  The person who took over for me is nothing less than a saint.

Now you could say that fits with the diagnostic criteria shown above, and if it does, so be it.  The bottom line is, my opinion of her as a colleague and team member is totally right.  End of!

So, back to DBT.  I thought things were developing OK with Joy.  I didn’t 100% trust her, but then it’s early days.  I’ve only seen her seven times.

The last session didn’t start off particularly well.  I had completed a worksheet as homework and we set about discussing it.  There was one bit where she wanted me to see something differently.  I didn’t agree.  The question on the sheet asked for one thing and I answered it.  She thought I should have a different answer and set about trying to make me agree with her.  There wasn’t much radical acceptance going on here and I wasn’t feeling like a doormat either.  In the end I realised she wasn’t as good at disagreeing with me as other CPNs I have known.  For example, John can put forward an alternative point of view without it feeling like a confrontation – and he can even tell me I’ve got something completely wrong without making me feel useless.  He can also acknowledge when things have got a bit tricky and communicate he is still ok with me.

Having realised I was winning the argument I went and quoted the sheet to her and the logical nature of my response.  She gave up at that point and now I’m not sure she is able to help me. 

 At the end of the session she told me she had received the occupational health report request relating to my recent job offer.  She said she had dictated it the day before, it would be typed up that day and sent out the day after.  I let five days pass from the day it should have arrived and then phoned occupational health to see where things were up to.  The report had not arrived.   

I phoned Joy to see what had happened.  She said it was in her tray for checking, and then she would send it later on in the day.  I protested that she had said it would be sent the Thursday before.  She denied saying that it would be dealt with the week before.  It would’ve been ok if she’d said, “sorry, I didn’t manage to get it done then, but it will go today!”  That would’ve been disappointing but no harm done.  However, in denying what she did say to me she has broken trust.  She is unreliable and not honest.  This is not an example of “good / bad” relationships or splitting.  It is just a fact.

It gives me a dilemma regarding DBT.  

  • ·         If I sack her as my therapist I lose the opportunity to do DBT and I really need and want to do it. 
  • ·         If I challenge her formally it will be her word against mine and hers will be the winning voice because her team will back her up and I’m just a “Bolshy Borderliner” anyway. 
  • ·         If I do nothing I will not get the benefit of the therapy because I don’t trust her.
  • ·         If I talk to her about how I feel at our next appointment it might help but it will probably make things worse.
As the saying goes, “I am between a rock and a hard place!”

No comments:

Post a Comment