Friday, February 17, 2012

DBT at last....

I’ve mentioned DBT before.  Dialectical Behavioural Therapy is the treatment of choice for BPD according to NICE guidelines.  I have been on a waiting list for this for eighteen months, and in that time have seriously doubted if it would ever be my turn.  Not least because a change of postcode may well have meant losing the opportunity completely by living in another NHS trust area that does not offer the service.

This was a real possibility because our landlord needed to sell the house we live in and we would have little choice on where to move, being driven by the cost of rent rather than location.  However, this week has been momentous.  We have heard that our tenancy is probably about to become long term and secure so the threat of having to move no longer hangs over us.  On top of that I had a call from the DBT team to say if I could get there I could start pre-commitment therapy the next day! 

Since recording my DBT journey was one of the aims of this blog it seemed an appropriate topic to record here.  By the way, if you are unsure what DBT is, I have provided some links at the end which explain what it is fairly clearly.


I managed to get to the DBT appointment and met my therapist, who I felt reasonably comfortable with for a first meeting.  So, my DBT journey has begun.  I will say goodbye to John, my CPN of nearly two years, and continue my journey of recovery helped by Joy.

I can’t say that having had DBT spelled out to me I feel confident, comfortable or clear of the way forward.  That first appointment was a little overwhelming being given a lot of information and screening questionnaires.  Never the less, onwards and upwards for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment